IMMIGRATION RULES AND CASES
Laws and Rules which mainly govern the Policy and Procedures pertaining to Immigration are:
Citizenship of Pakistan
There are three categories of declared citizens of Pakistan including citizens by birth, by descent and by migration, which are briefly mentioned below. (Please see relevant sections of Pakistan citizenship Act, 1951 for details)
Persons who or any of their parents or grandparents were born in the territories now included in Pakistan before the commencement of citizenship Act, 1951 are citizens of Pakistan.
Any person born in Pakistan after the commencement of Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 is citizen of Pakistan. Children of foreign diplomats and children of enemy alien born in Pakistan are not included in this category. Persons, who migrated from territories of Pakistan to other areas of Indo-Pakistan sub-continent for permanent stay after March, 1947 shall also be not considered citizens of Pakistan.
Citizen by Descent:
Children of Pakistanis who are born outside of Pakistan are citizens by descent. If the parent of such child is a citizen by descent himself/herself (as born outside of Pakistan) the child is required to be registered in the nearest consulate or Pakistani mission.
Children born to Pakistani mother and foreign national father, after 18.04.2000, are treated as citizens of Pakistan.
Citizen by Migration:
The persons who migrated to Pakistan from the territories in the indo-Pakistan subcontinent before the commencement of Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 are declared citizens of Pakistan.
Grant of Citizenship:
- Persons who can acquire citizenship of Pakistan after applying in prescribed manner are mentioned as under:-
(Type of Application Form and a list of documents required for submission of such application are provided under each category of entitled persons.) A brief description of prossessing of application is also given below.
- Foreign Ladies Married to Pakistani Nationals:
- Following documents are required other than those mentioned in the form.)
- Prescribed application form F (in quadruplicate)
- An affidavit on Rs.20/- non judicial stamp paper from the applicant and her husband regarding/mentioning detailed facts of the case.
- A similar affidavit from the husband on Rs.20/- non judicial stamp paper.
- An Affidavit duly supported by documentary evidence about her stay in Pakistan for a period of 05 years.
- Photostat copies of relevant pages of applicant's foreign passport.
- Photostat copy of residential permit.
- Photocopy of marriage certificate.
- Photostat copy of domicile certificate of the applicant (in case of applicant other than Commonwealth Citizen).
- List of close-relations residing in India on the prescribed form.
- Photostat copies of Pakistan Citizenship Certificate/Domicile Certificate of the applicant's husband (in case the husband has been issued such certificate).
- Six color photographs with light blue background size 2X1 1/2. One attested on front and one on back by Notary public/Oath Commissioner.
- Photostat copies of the relevant pages of the Pakistani passport or national identity card of the husband.
- Note: All of above mentioned documents may be attested by Notary public/Oath Commissioner except the photographs which have to be attested in a specified manner.
- Bank challan of prescribed amounts Rs.200/-.
- Oath of allegiance taken before 1st Class Magistrate (in case of citizen other than Commonwealth).
- Attested copy of domicile of the lady (in case of citizens other than commonwealth).
- Two certificates form two different Government Officers not less than B-17 confirming the date national status of the applicant's husband. Such certificates must also indicate the date and place of birth of the applicant's husband and his income.
- Applications form can either be submitted to Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad or its RPO at Lahore & Karachi or in the offices of District Coordination Officer/Deputy Commissioners of other Districts in Pakistan.
Commonwealth Citizens who Transfer Rs.5/- Million worth of Foreign Exchange:
- Application on Form-R duly attested by the mission (in quadruplicate) is to be submitted to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, through Pakistan's mission abroad.
- Five Photographs with blue background.
- Original Bank Proceeds Certificate regarding transfer of Rs.05/- Million to Pakistan through normal banking channel.
- Photocopy of present Passport.
- Fee of Rs.200/- (Rs.800/- for Indian National). After confirmation from State Bank, of the bank transaction of Rs.05/- Million, Immigrant Visa for Pakistan is issued. Pakistan Citizenship certificate is granted after arrival in Pakistan.
- The Nationals of Countries other than Commonwealth after they have resided in Pakistan for a period of 05 years under the Naturalization Act, 1926. i.e. 12 months continuous stay preceding to the date of application and 04 years aggregate stay during the 07 years preceding to the said twelve months:
- Application on Form-A duly attested by Notary Public (in quadruplicate) is to be submitted to Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad.
- Fee amounting to Rs.1500/- is to be deposited in parts i.e. Rs.750/- at the time of submission of application and Rs.750/- at the time of grant of certificate.
- Affidavit on Rs.20/- Stamp Paper regarding/mentioning facts of the case.
- Six color Photographs with light-blue background.
- Photocopies of Passport along with a statement showing stay of the Applicant in Pakistan for 05 years.
- Minor Children (below 21 years of Age) of Pakistani Ladies Married to Foreigners:
- Application on form M (in quadruplicate) form Pakistani Parents/Guardians.
- Four photographs.
- Affidavit from Pakistani Parents/Guardian regarding fact of the case.
- Documentary evidence proving the national status of Parents/Guardians as Citizen of Pakistan.
- Application form can either be submitted direct to Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad or its RPOs at Lahore & Karachi or in the offices of District Coordination Officers/Deputy Commissioners of other Districts in Pakistan.
- Old Parents of Pakistani Nationals who are Residing in India:
- Application on prescribed form duly attested by Oath Commissioner/Notary Public (in quadruplicate) on their behalf by their sons/daughters is to be submitted to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports, Islamabad.
- Fee of Rs.800/- for grant of Emergency Certificate in the applicant's name to be deposited in the nearest designated branch of National Bank of Pakistan.
- His/Her own affidavit on Rs.20/- Stamp Paper regarding/mentioning facts of the case.
- Six color Photographs with light-blue background of Indian Dependant, one duly attested on back-side by the Oath Commissioner/Notary Public.
- Documentary evidence to confirm his/her national status as citizen of Pakistan other than Pakistan Passport, affidavit, National Identity Card and two certificates from two different officers of Grade-17 or above of Central or Provincial Government.
- List of close relations residing in India.
- A certificate from Government Officer in BPS-17 or above confirming the relationship of the applicant with his/her Indian dependent.
- Five specimen signatures and thumb impressions of the Indian dependent attested by the applicant.
- Note: Emergency Certificate is granted followed by Pakistan Citizenship Certificate.
- Processing of Application for Citizenship
- Availability of Application Forms:
Application forms can be obtained from Directorate General of immigration and Passports (Dte. Gen. I&P), Islamabad and it’s Regional Passport Offices (RPOs) at Provincial Headquarters. You can also Download Forms.
- Submission of Application:
You can submit Applications pertaining to foreign ladies married to Pakistan nationals at Directorate General of Immigration and Passports its Regional Passport Offices at Provincial Headquarters, and Home Departments of concerned Provincial Government.
- Further Official Process:
After submission of the application it shall be examined and applicant shall be informed if some documents are missing or if there is any other discrepancy in the application.
Applicants are advised to ensure that applications are complete in all respects and all required documents are attached. After approval of formal submission of the application, a receipt/certificate shall be issued to applicant. Application shall be referred to one of the concerned departments for verification. Application to other concerned departments shall be send only after completion of required aggregate stay in Pakistan.
- Registration Requirement for Overseas Pakistanis
- Registration of Birth of a Child of Citizen of Pakistan Born in Country Outside Pakistan:
The birth of such children may be reported by the parents or guardians on Form S to the concerning Pakistan's Mission abroad within a period of six months.